In Python, “N” times repetition means that any value repeats itself several times in a sequence. There is always a need for repetition in code, like transmitting a message signal in a noisy channel or observing output for testing.
This article provides a detailed understanding of the following concepts regarding N Times repetition in Python:
- Method 1: Using the range() Function
- Method 2: Multiply a String WIth a Number
- Method 3: Using itertools.repeat() Method
Let’s get started with the first one:
Method 1: Using the range() function
The “range()” function using “for loop” is the most common and simple way to repeat “N” times in Python. The syntax of the range() function is shown below:
range(start, stop, step)
The range function takes three parameters which are described as follows:
- Start parameter represents the value of starting a number of the sequence (it is “0” by default).
- Stop parameter stop at the position which is not included.
- Step parameter represents the value of a sequence’s step size (it is “1” by default).
Let’s understand it with an example of code:
for number in range(7): print(number)
In the above code, the “range()” function takes the number as a parameter which sets the limit (7) of the range function. As the starting value of the “range()” function is not defined, it will start from “0” by default.
The output shows that the sequence of values is printed “N” times (Where N=7).
Method 2: Multiply a String WIth a Number
This is the simplest and most commonly practiced method to repeat a variable “N” times. In this method, the variable is multiplied with a number, and the multiplication result is printed to get the repetitive numbers. The “split() function” is also used along with multiplication to store the elements of string as a list. The use of the “split()” function is optional it is not necessary for the repetition of “N” Times..
Let’s understand it with an example of code.
#repeat N times using split() function value_1 = input('Enter a String you want to repeat = ') value_2 = int(input('Enter a number = ')) strg_1 = value_1*value_2 strg_2 = strg_1.split() result=(strg_2) print('The repeated string is = ',result)
In the above code:
- The string value is initialized in a variable named “value_1”.
- The input number is saved in a variable named “value_2”. Both variables’ values are taken from the user at run time.
- After that, the two variables are multiplied, and a new variable named “strg_1” is used to store the new value.
- The “split()” function converts the string into a list. This conversion is not necessary. However, it helps in processing the data more easily.
The output shows that the value “Ha” is repeated “5” times in a row.
Method 3: Using itertools.repeat() Method
In Python, the built-in method “itertools.repeat()” is used to repeat any string value infinite times until the break value is applied. This function has two parameters, “value” and “num”. The “value” represents the input string and the “num” value represents the number of times the value repeated itself. Using this module, any string value repeats “N” times in Python.
Let’s understand the concept of the “itertools.repeat()” function with an example:
#using itertools module import itertools list_1 = list(itertools.repeat('Hello', 3)) print(list_1)
In the above code:
- The “itertools” module is imported in code.
- The “itertools.repeat(value, num)” function takes two parameters inside the parenthesis. The value and number are provided in the parameter to repeat the “Hello” “3” times.
The output shows that the string “Hello” is repeated “3” times.
That’s all from this informative guide!
In Python, the built-in functions “range()” and “iter.tools()” are used to repeat “N” times. Additionally, one can multiply a string by a number to repeat that specific string “N” times. The “range()” function is used along with for loop to repeat any value “N” times by providing a range within its parameter. The “iter.tools()” method repeats an infinite “N” times value if we set its parameter value to default. This write-up provides a comprehensive overview of all the methods to repeat the “N” times in Python.
The Best Linux Tutorials Website